Canadian Immigration services offer Temporary Resident Visa to enable foreign nationals to reside in Canada for a certain time period for either business or pleasure. Foreign nationals, who are residents of certain countries, will not need a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. For a list of visa-exempt countries, please contact us for more information.

On the other hand, citizens of a majority of other countries will require a Temporary Resident Visa before entering Canada. The spouses of individuals, who are residing in Canada on a temporary basis, may require a Temporary Resident Visa, depending on their country of birth.

The Temporary Resident Visa will not grant work permits for foreign nationals in Canada. The difference between a Work Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa needs to be understood and thought of earlier before choosing the stream of immigration the individual is applying for. A foreign national can enter and live in Canada for a stipulated time with a Short-term Resident Visa and a Work Permit enables employment opportunities in Canada.

A Work Permit must be obtained by citizens of other countries, who would like to work in Canada. A foreign citizen will require an additional Temporary Resident Visa if they are travelling in and out of the country. The visa requirements will vary subject to the foreign national’s country of birth.

Foreign Nationals exempted from obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa

  • Citizens of certain countries (contact us for the up-to-date list of visa-exempt countries);
  • Individuals who are lawfully admitted as Permanent Residents of the United States;
  • Citizens from England and those who obtain their citizenship through naturalization, descent, birth, or through registration in any one of British-dependent territories like Bermuda, Anguilla, Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Falkland Islands, Montserrat, Gibraltar, St. Helena Pitcairn, or the Turks and Caicos Islands;
  • Individuals possessing travel documents or passports issued by the Holy See.

Any foreign citizen, who wishes to visit Canada for a period of six weeks or over, and has resided, within a year before their arrival in Canada, in certain states, will be compelled to undergo a medical examination, before being granted a Temporary Resident Visa.

Types of Canadian Temporary Resident Visas:

  • Single Entry Visa – permits the foreign citizen a single entry to Canada;
  • Multiple Entry Visa – permits the foreign citizen multiple entries across Canada, depending on the visa’s validity; and
  • Transit Visa – permits the foreign citizen a transit time of fewer than 48 hours via Canada. This is for those travelling through Canada to a particular destination outside of Canada that requires a visa.

Our Latest Blogs

Canadian Woman Consular Officer Giving Passport Male Immigrant Work Visa Citizenship Visa Application Online Form Immigration Concept Visa Approval 600x403

How Does My Work Experience Affect My CRS Score?

As immigrants apply through the Express Entry system for Canadian immigration, it's crucial to understand…
Woman Working Outdoors Using Laptop 600x403

What is the CUSMA (formerly called NAFTA) Work Permit

The Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), formerly known as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA),…
Stream Image 600x403

What is Global Talent Stream (GTS)?

The Global Talent Stream (GTS) is an immigration program launched by the Government of Canada…

Understand your Legal Right to be here

Fill out your information below to schedule a consultation!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Reach Our Office location

icon address


110 Sheppard Ave E Suite #630 North York, ON M2N 6Y8
Icon phone


(647) 490-2033
icon fax


(416) 229-0042

What Our Clients Say

Immigration Lawyer Toronto