As an International student in Canada, you may have questions about working in Canada after graduation. Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a work permit issued to International students who have graduated from a Canadian University. This work permit allows them to work in Canada after their graduation. The PGWP is a valuable opportunity for International students as it will enable them to gain practical work experience in Canada, which could eventually lead to permanent residency.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to be eligible for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), the applicant needs to attain eligibility by meeting the following criteria:

  1. They must have graduated from a designated learning institution in Canada.
  2. They must have completed a course that was at least for a duration of eight months.
  3. They must apply for the work permit within 180 days of receiving their final transcript.
  4. They must have a valid study permit when applying for a work permit.
  5. They must have continuously studied full-time during their program of study in Canada.

Applicants need to bear in mind that they can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) only once. 

How long is the Post Graduation Work Permit Valid?

The validity of the Post Graduation Work Permit depends on the duration of the program of study that the student completed. For programs between eight months and two years, the work permit is valid for the same length of time as the program of study. For programs that are two years or longer, the work permit can be valid for up to three years. 

What are the documents required to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) ?

The application process for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) can be completed online or on paper. The applicant needs to produce the following documents while applying:

  1. Proof of graduation
  2. A valid passport
  3. A copy of the study permit
  4. A letter of support from the designated learning institution

The application fee for a Post Graduation Work Permit is CAD 255 and must be paid at the time of application. Processing times for the work permit vary but can take up to six months.

Apply Online

You can apply for a PGWP online. All you need to do is create an online account on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website and fill out the application form. Be sure to answer all questions accurately and completely. You can also track the progress of your application.

Can you work while waiting for your PGWP?

International students who have completed their studies and have applied for a Post Graduation Work Permit can work in Canada while they wait for their work permit application to be processed. However, in order to be eligible to work, 

  1. They should have a valid study permit
  2. They should have completed their program of study
  3. They have applied for a PGWP before their study permit expires

If the applicant meets these criteria, they can work full-time or part-time while their PGWP application is processed.

Why is a PGWP beneficial?

The Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) provides International students with a valuable opportunity to gain work experience in Canada. This work experience can be used to obtain permanent residency in Canada, as many Canadian immigration programs prioritize applicants who have Canadian work experience. Additionally, the PGWP can be used to gain valuable experience in the Canadian job market and build a professional network.

The Post Graduation Work Permit is an excellent opportunity for International students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable work experience in Canada. The eligibility criteria, validity, application process, and benefits of the PGWP have been discussed in detail here. International students who meet the eligibility criteria and wish to work in Canada after their graduation should consider applying for a Post Graduation Work Permit.

Let's work together

Let us help you take the guesswork out of your Canadian immigration plans and make the road butter smooth for you.
Contact us to get started today!

Our Latest Blogs

Canada Introduces Specialized Image 600x403

Canada Introduces Specialized Immigration Stream Specific to Health Workers

Renowned for its deep cultural roots and expansive economy, Canada is recognized as one of…
Education Credentials Assessment Image 600x403

The Role of Education Credentials Assessment (ECA) in Express Entry

Developed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Express Entry serves as a crucial pathway…
Canadian Workers Benefit Image 600x403
Work Visa

All You Need To Know About Canadian Workers Benefit (CWB)

The Canadian Workers Benefit (CWB) was introduced in 2019 and established as a financial assistance…

Understand your Legal Right to be here

Fill out your information below to schedule a consultation!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Reach Our Office location

icon address


110 Sheppard Ave E Suite #630 North York, ON M2N 6Y8
Icon phone


(647) 490-2033
icon fax


(416) 229-0042

What Our Clients Say

Immigration Lawyer Toronto