Spousal Sponsorship Immigration Lawyer Service Toronto, Canada | Ronen Kurzfeld

To be considered for spousal sponsorship, the sponsor and the applicant must be legally married. If the marriage did not occur in Canada, then, the Canadian immigration authorities will accept the marriage provided that it is legal in the country it took place in.

How can you qualify to be a sponsor?

To meet the requirements of being a sponsor, you must:

  • Be 18 years of age
  • Be a resident of Canada
  • Have financial stability

Depending on your individual profile and history, there are other criteria that may need to be met.

The first part of the process of getting spousal sponsorship is the submission of a request by the sponsor. If this is granted, then, the individual seeking sponsorship will submit an application of his/ her own. This individual must also be 18 years of age, and proof must be provided to show that the relationship is genuine.

Helping you meet the legal criteria

The process of making the Canadian immigration authorities believe that your relationship is genuine can be tricky. We have a wealth of experience in this area and understand how to get it right. If you’re worried about the small details, then get in touch with us, and we can handle your case.

How to qualify the relationship

There are 3 ways in which the relationship may be qualified:

Conjugal partners: When the conjugal partner has not been living in Canada but was in a binding relationship, then this category may be selected. However, a valid reason must be given for why the conjugal partner was not able to enter Canada. This is also valid for same-sex relationships.

Common-law partners: To apply for a visa under the common-law partner category, it must be proven that the couple must have lived together for a minimum of one year. This is valid for same-sex and heterosexual relationships. Proof can be provided via financial records, bills, real estate documents, joint accounts, and so on.

Spouse: In this category, the couple must be legally married. If the couple married in Canada, then a Certificate of Marriage must be provided from the relevant territory/ province. However, if the marriage took place outside of Canada, then relevant documentation must be provided as proof.

Understanding the process

The step-by-step process of receiving a visa via the spousal sponsorship program may seem complicated, but, we will do our best to make the process straightforward. We will answer all of your questions to make you feel at ease. We will do our best to expedite the approval of your partner’s Canadian visa.

Our Latest Blogs

ronen canada immigration trends 2021

Latest Express Entry Insights: What to expect in 2021

The Canadian government decided to ramp up its immigration efforts to help the country’s economy…
ronen difference between immigration lawyer and immigration consultant

Difference between immigration lawyer and consultant

If you are immigrating to Canada or planning to do so, then there’s a good…
ronen blog sponsor conjugal partner to canada
Express Entry

Complete guide to sponsoring a conjugal partner to Canada

Canada’s diverse range of immigration programmes make it an alluring destination for immigrants from around…

Understand your Legal Right to be here

Fill out your information below to schedule a consultation!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Reach Our Office location

Kurzfeld Law Office of Immigration


110 Sheppard Ave E
Suite #630
North York, ON M2N 6Y8


(647) 490-2033


(416) 229-0042

What Our Clients Say