Canada is a strict country in case of immigration laws. Therefore, the procedure also includes a detailed Canadian medical examination. It is one of the final requirements before applying for permanent residence in the country. The Canada immigration medical exam finally determines whether a person can reside in the country.
The years 2020 and 2021 were scary times for everybody, which impacted the immigrant laws of Canada as well. As a result of that, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) made a list of panel physicians for Canadian immigration medical examination. First, they check if an aspiring immigrant has a healthy body and mind. The eye, nose, heart, lungs, and other body parts are commonly studied. Other than that, chest X-rays, blood tests for HIV, syphilis and urine tests are also done. Get a detailed overview of the medical examination in this blog.
Who Needs To Take The Canada Immigrant Medical Exam?
The Canada Immigrant Medical Exam is required for individuals who plan to stay in the country for more than six months, applying for permanent residency, a work permit, a study permit, or refugee status.
What Does Canada’s Immigrant Medical Exam Entail?
The medical exam while immigrating to Canada is a series of tests conducted by a panel of physicians approved by the Canadian government. The tests are designed to ensure that a person is not carrying any contagious disease that may become a risk to the local Canadian’s health. Following is the step-by-step process to help you.
- The medical examination starts with physical scrutiny that checks a person’s overall organs and organ systems. The applicant’s medical history is also studied with current medication and vaccination history.
- Next, a chest X-ray is done to check the signs of tuberculosis.
- After that, a blood test is done to screen for HIV and syphilis.
- Later the individual’s urine is tested to find any use of a drug.
- Finally, if the applicant ages between 15 to 49, a test for gonorrhea and chlamydia is done.
The medical examination process may take several hours, depending on the number of tests.
How Can You Prepare Canada Immigration Medical Exam?
If you are instructed to take the IRCC-approved Canada Immigration Medical Examination (IME), you can prepare by focusing on the following.
- Make an appointment with a panel physician certified by the Canadian government to conduct the medical exam. One can easily find a panel physician on the official websites of the Canadian government.
- Remember to carry all your medical records with you to the appointment, including the vaccination records and any other medical documents you may have.
- Be honest and forthcoming about your medical history, including past or current medical conditions, medications, or drug use.
- Follow all the instructions the physician advises, like fasting before the tests or avoiding any particular medication.
How Can You Find A Panel Physician For Canadian Immigration Medical Examination
People applying for permanent or temporary residency in Canada must undergo a mandatory medical exam as a part of the application process. To find a doctor approved by IRCC, you can do the following.
Check The Canadian Government’s Authorized Physicians List
The Canadian government maintains a list of qualified physicians who are authorized by Immigrants, Refugees, Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The bench of IRCC allows the list of doctors to conduct the medical examination whom anyone can reach using the official Canadian government website. One can search for such a physician even by country, city, and region.
Contact The Physician
Once you have identified an authorized physician near you, contact them as soon as possible and book an appointment for a medical exam. In the process, you may need to provide some basic information that will include your particulars, like your name, age, blood group, etc., for scrutiny.
Prepare For The Medical Exam
Before visiting the doctor, ensure you have all the necessary documents and proofs. This may involve your passport, medical history, and vaccination records. Follow the instructions given by the doctor to examine you perfectly.
Be Punctual On The Date Of the Appointment
Just like any other practice, be punctual with your deeds. Then, be ready with the necessary documents and reach the IRCC-approved doctor’s chamber as advised. The essential information will help the doctor check you well and create the best possible report for you. The following description will help you immigrate to Canada smoothly.
Wait For The Results Patiently
After the medical examination, the physician will provide you with the results. These results will make your path to gaining permanent or temporary resident status in Canada easier.
Need Specialized Advice?
The Canada immigration medical exam is an essential step while migrating to Canada. By ensuring that applicants are not carrying any dangerous disease, Canada is able to maintain quality health for the inhabitants of the country. If you are required to take the Canada immigration medical exam, it is crucial to follow all the instructions. The directions by the IRCC-approved health facilitators are vital and must be followed honestly.
However, if you get stuck anywhere in the middle, you can get specialized assistance from us. We use all our experience to help you immigrate to Canada smoothly. Contact us for expert advice!