Immigration Lawyer Toronto & #1 Canadian Immigration Lawyer Ronen Kurzfeld

Call Today To Schedule A Consultation

✆(416)225-9800 ✆1(855)999-0224

We offer Customized Payment Solutions to meet your expenses.

Category Archives: Student Visa

How can I turn my tourist visa into a student visa in Canada [2020]

Canada is one of the most beautiful countries to visit. The endless lakes, parks, forests, and monuments promise to make your vacation worthwhile. But, alongside all the beauty, the country is also home to world-class universities and a high-quality education system that attracts around 150,000 international students annually. So, if you are a tourist who is a student or are planning to pursue higher education, you might want to extend your stay in Canada to complete your studies.

But, is it possible to get your “Visitor Visa” or V-1 Visa converted into “Student Visa” or S-1 Visa in Canada?

Transforming your Canadian “Visitor Visa” to a “Study Visa”, As of now, you can’t just request your “Visitor Visa” to be converted into a “Study Visa” within Canada.
As per the official site of the Government of Canada, to study in the country:

1. The applicant should have a legal status.
2. The applicant should have a study permit (if applicable)


Tourists wanting to pursue a short-term course of study for six months or less do not require a study visa or a study permit. They can complete the course on their visitor visa before its expiration. However, no visa extensions will be granted for completing a short-term program.
If you wish to enroll in a long-term educational program, which has a duration of more than 6 months or will exceed the permitted time limit of your stay, from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you must apply for a study permit from outside Canada.
You are not required to get a new study visa if your V-1 visa is valid for a longer period than your study permit. However, most single entry visitor visas are valid for 6 months, so it is important to have a Study Visa (S-1) alongside your passport and study permit.

Why a “Visitor Visa” can’t be changed to “Study Visa” from within Canada?

Many tourists enter Canada using a “Visitor Visa” with an intent to study. A misconception is that they can simply file a change to update their “Visitor” status to “Student” status from within the country’s premises once they get accepted into a DLI institute. This mindset is quite common among foreign nationals and is referred to as “preconceived intent” – this might result in denial of your study permit.
Moreover, the officials at CPC find it difficult to perform background checks on foreign visitors from within Canada. This may delay the processing of your study permit, which will ultimately delay your visa.
Hence, to avoid the intent conflict and background check fails, it is advisable for visitors to apply for the study permit and S-1 visa before entering Canada, and, from their home country.

How to apply for a Study Permit as a Visitor in Canada?

To apply for a Canadian study permit and study visa, one would need
● An enrollment letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
● Proof of funds to show that you can afford your tuition fees, living costs and return travel
● No criminal records
● A medical examination to prove good health
● Proof that you will leave Canada once you complete your studies
Once you have submitted your application, you would need to wait until it is approved.

On approval, a letter of introduction, and an S-1 visa will be issued, which must be shown at border control in Canada along with a valid passport. Once you are given the clearance, you’ll be granted the student permit and will be allowed to stay in Canada for the duration of your course plus 90 days.

CELPIP vs IELTS: Which is Better for Canada Visa?

For you to be able to come to Canada, most Canada immigration visas require proof of English or French language skills. In this article we are going to look at CELPIP and IELTS – the only two English tests that are accepted by Canada Immigration and Citizenship.Not long ago IELTS used to be the only… Continue Reading

What is the Minimum IELTS Score Required for Canada Immigration? [Updated for 2020]

If you are considering studying abroad or pursuing opportunities in Canada or other countries, you might have heard of the standard IELTS exam. But, what is IELTS? What is IELTS? The International English language testing system (IELTS) is the most well-known standardized English proficiency test across the globe. The IELTS is developed by leading language… Continue Reading

Surge in International Students Choosing to Study in Canada, Transitioning to Permanent Residence

  According to new figures, there has been a significant increase in the number of international students who are enrolling in Canadian universities for the 2017/2018 academic school year. The increase has been credited to the growing notion that Canada is a stable and welcoming destination to pursue an education in after the various political… Continue Reading

Study and Migrate to Canada

International students have become a mainstay at Canadian Universities, Colleges and Private schools. In fact, there are over 200,000 International Students arriving in Canada annually. Studying in Canada is extremely popular for several reasons. These reasons include the following factors: Top level of education (Canadian schools are consistently ranked highly globally); General affordability (compared to… Continue Reading


Start Your Assessment

Step 1 of 5


Start Your Assessment

Step 1 of 5