Stay in touch

Get updates about the latest immigration news and be better informed about the Canadian Immigration Process.
First Name
Email address
Secure and Spam free...
Work Permit

All You Need to Know About Working in Canada after You Graduate

By November 23, 2018 July 2nd, 2024 No Comments

Universities in Canada are well-known and reputed around the world. Many international students aspire to pursue a degree or certification in these universities and colleges for a world-class education. If you have been a student in Canada and have a degree from here, you have probably had the opportunity to network here and even make some friends. Studying and living here gives one an opportunity to know the country better before you decide to migrate to Canada. If you are someone who is looking to be in the country for long-term, luckily, there are a few possibilities that allow you to stay back in this country post your graduation to explore work opportunities. You can either choose to stay in Canada for the time being after you graduate or you may decide to move here permanently by seeking residency in Canada.

Ways to Work in Canada Temporarily After You Graduate

If you wish to work in Canada temporarily after you complete your studies, one of the ways is to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The application will cost $255 and the processing usually takes anywhere between 50 and 110 days on an average. To qualify for a PGWP, you must have graduated from an accredited institution in Canada and you must be at least 18 years old. You must be a full-time student enrolled in a degree or diploma program that is a minimum eight months long. It is necessary for your educational institution to meet the basic requirements to back your work permit. To be eligible, you should have documents from your institution to prove that you have met all the requirements for graduation from your program.

You must apply within 3 months of completing your program while you still have a valid study permit. Once you have successfully received your PGWP, the span of time you will be allowed to live in Canada will be contingent to the duration of your study program. For coursework of eight months to two years, you will get a permit for the same length of time. For a one-year-long program, you will typically be allowed to work and live in Canada for an extra year. In case you were enrolled in a two-year-long program or have pursued multiple programs, your work permit will commonly let you live and work in Canada for three years.

There are exceptions to the above rules. Under certain circumstances such as PGWP requirements for graduates of some schools in Quebec, for transfer students, for accelerated programs and for flight schools, you may still be allowed to seek a temporary stay in Canada. If you are already employed, you may be allowed to avail an employer-specific work permit that enables you to stay in the country for a definite period of time to work for only that particular employer. You can also apply for an open work permit enabling you to work for any eligible employers.

Work in Canada Permanently After Graduation

If you have finished your education from Canada and have decided to continue living in this country permanently, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency once you have successfully completed your education. If you have a Canadian education and some work experience while studying, these factors may provide you with some additional help in your application. If you have family in Canada, you can opt for permanent residency through sponsorship. In case these options are not available to you, try applying through Canadian Express Entry. To be able to apply via EE, you are required to have at least 12 months of full-time work experience and you should meet language and other requirements.

Another option for permanent residency is via the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Every Canadian province has its own program with its own set of rules, so it is better to compare each of these programs to find something that most closely fits your profile.

Are you looking to apply for work permit or residency? To gain more information and get assistance in your process of filing, reach out to Ronen Kurzfeld, an immigration lawyer in Toronto, Canada.